July 29, 2015
Health Tip: Enjoy Berries
They're good for you
(HealthDay News) -- Berries are not only colorful and attractive, they're also loaded with vitamins and antioxidants.
The Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics offers this berry good advice:
- Shop for berries that are dry, plump and firm. Containers should never have mold, moisture or dirt.
- Before storing berries, pick out any damaged or spoiled ones and throw them away. Store berries in a produce drawer in your refrigerator, or inside a sealed container in the fridge.
- Before consuming, wash berries in cold water. Eat within three days.
- Add berries to smoothies, cereals, yogurt or ice cream.
- If you have leftovers, freeze them to enjoy longer. Spread them out on a baking sheet in the freezer, then move to a sealed container once frozen.