(HealthDay News) -- Safe, well-balanced meals are especially important during pregnancy. The American Pregnancy Foundation says certain foods should be avoided entirely, including:
- Raw meat, shellfish and eggs.
- Many deli meats that could be undercooked and harbor bacteria. During pregnancy, it's a good idea to reheat deli meats until they're steaming.
- Fish that contain mercury or have been exposed to pollutants.
- Smoked seafood.
- Unpasteurized milk, soft cheeses and pate.
- Unwashed, raw vegetables.