August 9, 2010
Health Tip: Get the Nutrients You Need
Are some essentials missing from your diet?
(HealthDay News) -- Your body needs a variety of nutrients to function properly and stay healthy.
The American Academy of Family Physicians offers this list of essential nutrients and examples of where to find them:
- Calcium, which is acquired from dairy products and leafy, dark-colored green vegetables.
- Potassium, acquired from bananas, raisins, spinach, nuts and fish.
- Fiber, found in legumes, whole grains, fruits, vegetables, nuts and seeds.
- Magnesium, from peas, black beans, spinach and almonds.
- Vitamin A, found in milk, eggs, sweet potatoes, cantaloupe and carrots.
- Vitamin C, found in fruits such as strawberries, oranges and kiwi; and veggies such as broccoli and green peppers.
- Vitamin E, found in seeds and nuts, whole grains, avocados and spinach.