October 20, 2011
Health Tip: Kids Should Eat Healthy, Too
What to order for them at restaurants
(HealthDay News) -- Parents who give their kids healthy meals at home aren't doing their children any favors by feeding them fatty restaurant fare.
The American Dietetic Association offers these dietary suggestions for kids at restaurants:
- Dine at places that offer balanced, healthy child-size meals and sides.
- Order milk for your child's drink, and fruit for dessert.
- Order dishes plain, and ask for sauces on the side.
- Choose apple slices, carrots or other healthy dishes in place of fries.
- Let your child choose between two or three healthy choices that you select.
- Make sure your child gets plenty of calcium by adding cheese to a sandwich, or ordering a side of yogurt.