May 17, 2015
Health Tip: Set Regular Eating Times for the Family
And don't skip meals because it can lead to overeating
(HealthDay News) -- A regular meal schedule can help the whole family maintain normal weight and practice healthy eating habits.
The American Academy of Pediatrics recommends:
- Set a specific time for meals, so family members know when it's appropriate to grab a healthy snack.
- Make sure all family members eat three balanced meals a day. Never skip meals, which can lead to overeating.
- Don't let your child graze all day. Instead, offer a healthy snack between meals.
- Serve appropriate portion sizes based on your child's age. Every meal should include at least one fruit or vegetable.
- Ask for your child's help in selecting the menu, and offer praise for choosing healthy foods.