December 29, 2004
Health Tip: Teach Your Child to Eat Well
Suggestions to make mealtime more fun
(HealthDayNews) -- Getting your child to eat enough nutritious foods is a tough assignment.
So here are some suggestions from the University of Nebraska on how to make mealtimes more enjoyable:
- Involve your child in meal preparation. By allowing your preschooler to take part, you may spur your child's interest in a new or unfamiliar food.
- Include at least one of your child's preferred foods.
- Prepare foods with a variety of colors and textures. This will create interest and increase the number of foods your child will accept.
- Use child-size portions. A good gauge is one tablespoon of food for each year of the child's age.
- Maintain a consistent schedule. Try to serve each meal before your child becomes overly hungry, tired or irritable.