(HealthDay News) - Omega-3 fatty acids -- found in fish and certain plant oils -- are crucial for healthy brain growth and development. They can also help protect the body against certain diseases and conditions.
Here are some of the health benefits they may offer, courtesy of the University of Maryland Medical Center:
- Reduce bad cholesterol and raise good cholesterol levels.
- Lower high blood pressure.
- Prevent heart disease, and reduce the risk of heart attack.
- Reduce the risk of stroke.
- Help control diabetes.
- Reduce arthritis pain.
- Aid in weight loss.
- Protect against osteoporosis.
- Reduce the risk of mental illnesses such as schizophrenia, depression and bipolar disorder.