Make sandwiches with healthier fillings
(HealthDayNews) -- If you love munching on sandwiches but also love a slender physique, there is a compromise.
According to Harvard University Medical Schools, properly prepared sandwiches can be healthy and nutritious.
So the next time you visit your favorite deli, follow these suggestions:
- Order low-fat condiments. If the joint doesn't have any, order yours on the side.
- Instead of mayo and salad dressings, trying topping your sandwich with green peppers, mushrooms, cucumbers, or pickles.
- Choose low-fat or less-fat meats.
- Select fat-free or reduced-fat cheeses. White cheeses tend to be lower in fat and calories than yellow cheeses.
- Go with whole wheat or whole-grain breads, and resist the croissants.
- Salad sandwiches -- for instance, tuna and mayo, or chicken and mayo mixes -- are the biggest fat offenders. So, if this is what you're after, skip the deli and make your own sandwiches at home, using fat-free ingredients.