See What HealthDay Can Do For You
Contact Us

Waiter, There's a Bug in My Food

It's probably harmless

(HealthDayNews) -- If you've ever bitten into a chocolate bar and found live creatures wiggling about inside, your first instinct may have been to throw up. Then you may have wondered if ingesting worms or weevils can make you sick.

Well, don't fret. While the idea is repugnant, there is virtually no danger, says the University of California, Berkeley. The bugs and worms are destroyed by stomach acids and will not turn into parasites.

If this is small comfort, know that certain foods are more susceptible to creepy crawlies. Candy containing peanuts may contain worms; and oatmeal, cereals, and other grain products sometimes have little weevils.

Consumer News