Health Tip: A Bad Case of Food Poisoning

When to seek medical help

(HealthDayNews) -- Mother nature usually leaves little doubt when you've eaten contaminated food.

In most cases, once the vomiting and diarrhea subside, you can stop worrying. But sometimes medical attention is necessary.

The University of California, Davis, advises you see a doctor if there is:

  • Diarrhea lasting longer than 24 hours.
  • Vomiting lasting longer than 12 hours.
  • Blood in the stool.
  • Fever.
  • Vomiting and diarrhea that are so intense severe muscle cramping occurs.
  • An inability to keep down any liquids for 12 hours.
Consumer News