December 4, 2016
Health Tip: Handle Pet Food With Care
It may harbor germs
(HealthDay News) -- Pet food can harbor bacteria that can make people sick, so it's important to handle it carefully.
The U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention recommends:
- Always wash your hands after handling pet food or treats.
- Store pet food and treats out of a child's reach. Make sure pet food isn't kept near human food.
- Store pet food in its original bag, inside a closed plastic container that's just for pet food.
- Gather pet food with a clean scoop, not your pet's food dish.
- Store dry pet food in a cool, dry, place. Refrigerate or properly store leftover wet pet food. Throw away any pet food that's been left out but hasn't been eaten.