May 19, 2015
Health Tip: Prepare Produce Safely
Take steps to keep your family healthy
(HealthDay News) -- Fruit and veggies can harbor germs, so safe preparation can keep your family from getting sick.
The Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics recommends:
- Just before eating, rinse fresh produce in cool running water.
- Use a produce brush to scrub firm produce, such as melons and cucumbers.
- Pull off and throw away the outermost leaves on a head of lettuce.
- Use two separate cutting boards, one for raw meat and one for produce.
- Cook alfalfa, clover and other raw sprouts before eating to reduce the risk of illness.