Throw Out That Can
Bulging food cans tied to botulism
We're inundated with information about ways to prepare fresh foods to avoid food-borne illnesses. But sometimes trouble lurks in canned foods, too.
The Visiting Nurse Services in Westchester County, N.Y., says one problem can be botulism, a food poisoning caused by a toxin produced by the bacterium, Clostridium botulinum.
The group says never eat food from bulging cans, which can be a sign of problems. And foul-smelling foods should be disposed of immediately.
Botulism, whose symptoms include blurred vision, slowed reflexes and trouble breathing, can be fatal. If you have any of these symptoms, seek medical attention immediately, the nurses' group advises.