(HealthDay News) -- Bonding is an intense attachment that develops between parents and their baby, according to the American Academy of Family Physicians (AAFP).
Although babies and their mothers usually bond quickly, the process may take more time for fathers.
The AAFP offers these suggestions for new fathers:
- Participate in labor and delivery.
- Touch your baby.
- Establish eye-to-eye contact.
- Communicate vocally with your baby.
- Feed and change the baby.
- Mirror the baby's movements.
- Let the baby touch you.
- Use a front baby carrier while performing routine activities.