April 14, 2010
Health Tip: Coping With Postpartum Depression
Depression during and after pregnancy
(HealthDay News) -- Depression frequently affects women who are pregnant or who have just given birth.
The National Women's Health Information Center offers these suggestions to help new moms cope with postpartum depression:
- Try to sleep or rest as much as possible.
- Don't push yourself to be perfect or to do more than is possible.
- Ask for help from loved ones.
- Make time for yourself, away from being a mom.
- Talk to your partner and loved ones about what you're dealing with.
- Get together with other moms to find out what they went through and how they dealt with it.
- Join a support group for new mothers.
- Avoid making significant life changes while you're pregnant or just after pregnancy.
- Talk to your doctor about whether you may need medication or psychological therapy.