July 11, 2008
Health Tip: When to Induce Labor
Most often, when a woman is 2 weeks overdue
(HealthDay News) -- Most pregnant women will go into labor naturally, but sometimes it's safer for doctors to induce labor.
Here are reasons for why a doctor might decide to induce labor, courtesy of the American Academy of Family Physicians:
- Going two weeks or longer past the due date.
- Having no contractions after the woman's water breaks.
- Having high blood pressure.
- Having an infection in the uterus.
- Having diabetes.
- Having an insufficient amount of amniotic fluid surrounding the baby.