(HealthDay News) -- Menstrual cramps signal an unwelcome time of the month for many women.
The U.S. National Library of Medicine offers these suggestions to help relieve the pain and discomfort of monthly menstrual cramps:
- Use an over-the-counter pain reliever, such as naproxen sodium or ibuprofen.
- Apply a hot water bottle or heating pad to the abdominal area.
- Perform regular exercises, such as walking or pelvic exercises.
- Stick to a healthy diet rich in fruits, vegetables and whole grains. Avoid salt, sugar, caffeine and alcohol.
- Perform relaxation techniques, such as meditation or yoga.